The event is held on the Ruapehu Around the Mountain Track. The 72km Solo Ultra and Relay start and finish at the Chateau Tongariro and will consist of three legs as described below. The 50km Solo Ultra will start at the top of the Ohakune Mountain Road and use legs two and three to finish at the Chateau. The 24km Solo – 23.5km starts from Tukino Ski Field Rd and also finishes at the Chateau.
DISTANCES AND ELEVATION
72km Solo Ultra:
- 72.89km (Chateau Tongariro to Chateau Tongariro)
- Elevation: gain +3370m, loss -3370m
- 3 ITRA points
- Trace de trail track: https://tracedetrail.fr/en/trace/trace/91295
50km Solo Ultra
- 50.5km (Turoa Ski Field to Chateau Tongariro)
- Elevation gain +1912m , loss -2340m
- 2 ITRA points
- Trace de trail track: https://tracedetrail.fr/en/trace/trace/91296
- 23.5km (Tukino Ski Field Rd to Chateau Tongariro)
- Elevation gain +0591m , loss -0874m
- Leg 1 – 23.9km, +1458m, -1118m Chateau Tongariro to MUAC Hut, Ohakune Mountain Road
- Leg 2 – 25.5km, +1321m, -1378m MUAC Hut, Ohakune Mountain Road to Tukino Ski Field Access Road
- Leg 3 – 23.5km, +0591m, -0874m Tukino Ski Field Access Road to Chateau Tongariro
Total elevation gain +3398m , loss -3398m
If the planned around the mountain course can not be used on Saturday, then an alternative course will be implemented.
If conditions do not allow the event to take place on any course on Saturday, then the event will be cancelled.
Renowned as ‘The Original Goat’ course, this leg in Ring of Fire will be a modified version of The Original Goat route travelling up the Silica Rapids track onto the Whakapapaiti Track branching onto the Round the Mountain track.
- Distance: 23.9km, Chateau Tongariro to MUAC Hut, Ohakune Mountain Road
- Elevation: +1458m, -1118m
Summary: Technical – elevated, exposed.
Description: This is the most technical leg. The course is a rough trail with stones, creek crossings, uneven ground, rock scrambles and many small but cumulative elevation changes.
We will refer to for now as ‘The Missing Link.
- Distance: 25.5km, MUAC Hut, Ohakune Mountain Road to Tukino Ski Field Access Road
- Elevation: +1321m, -1378m
Summary: Technical, big valleys, climbing, long, exposed in sections.
Description: This leg starts with the Ohakune Mountain Road descent, then enters native bush trails. It breaks into open boulder fields and includes the crossing of the Wahianoa River (there is a swing bridge) and finishes with sand, tussock and rocky terrain at the top of the Rangipo Desert.
Renowned as ‘The Tussock Traverse’ course, this leg in Ring of Fire will be a modified version of the Tussock route starting on the Tukino Road dropping down onto the Round the Mountain track on the final leg towards the finish at the Chateau Tongariro.
- Distance: 23.5km, Tukino Ski Field Access Road to Chateau Tongariro
- Elevation: +0591m, -0874m
Summary: true desert landscape features wind sculptured sands and volcanic rock to Waihohonu stream climbing to the Tama Saddle before descending homeward on well formed tracks.
Description: This is by far the easiest leg of the race (which is great because it is the last). The track surface is excellent and the elevation is quite gentle. The Waihohonu Hut is the only hut on this section. Highlights include passing between Mount Ruapehu on your left and Mount Ngauruhoe and Tongariro on your right. The final 10km or so are a gentle downhill past the impressive Taranaki Falls and onto the finish line.